Each year CEE Legal Matters has published an end-of-year table summarizing the deals of law firms across CEE. This year’s table will be published in the 2019 Corporate Counsel Handbook, which is read by thousands of General Counsel throughout the region.
Although the table will be based primarily on the deals/disputes/advisory work that we have reported on the CEE Legal Matters website throughout the year, we encouraging firms to supplement that coverage with information about deals that may have fallen through the cracks. So you can check, here is a table aggregating the 1054 deals we reported up until September this year.
How to Submit Deals:
Step 1: Please check the deals we reported in your jurisdiction in 2018. The table here is searchable by country. If there is a deal that is on that list that does not include your involvement, please note your participation using this excel template.
Step 2: Any deals you worked on that are not included in the list at all should be noted on this excel template. NOTE: We’ve updated this template from previous years. Make sure you use this one and this one only!
Important Note - No Confidential Information or Confidential Deals:
As opposed to previous years please only submit information that is publicly disclosable. The information provided will be plugged into the deal list automatically so every bit of information included in your submissions will be considered as publishable, regardless how it is marked.
Important Note - On Counter-Parties:
Unlike in previous years, it is now mandatory to identify other law firms advising on a client matter in the “Other Firms” column. Thus:
- If you represented a buyer on a transaction, you *must* identify the advisor of the seller, and vice-versa (e.g., “X advised the seller”)
- If you represented a borrower on a financing, you *must* identify the advisor of the lender, and vice-versa (e.g., “X advised the lender”)
- If you advised on local matters only on a larger regional or global deal, you *must* identify the firms acting as global advisors, and vice-versa (e.g., “A acted as the global counsel for party B; C acted as the global counsel for party D”)
- If the counter-party relied strictly on its in-house team please note that (e.g., “X relied on its in-house team”)
Important Note - On Submission Requirements:
- Clients must be identified by name
- Client matters need to be closed/concluded between January 1, 2018, and December 31, 2018. We need the specific month to be identified in the “Closing Date” column. Vague dates such as “Q1” will not be accepted.
- *All* types of client work, including disputes, can be included.
- There is no minimum value threshold for a client matter to be eligible. Where the deal value can be provided, only use specific values (e.g., EUR 9 million). Vague indicators (such as, for example, "over EUR 10 million") will simply be removed.
- In the “Description,” make sure you clearly articulate your firm’s role in the deal or dispute.
Important Note - On Feedback & Following the Template Provided:
We will not be able to provide any feedback and submissions that do not follow the template will not be included in the deal list.
The following are examples of flaws in the submissions that will result in the entire submission being rejected:
- The client is not identified.
- Vague dates such as “Q1” are provided for the closing date.
- The “Other Firms” column is not filled in.
Although we are trying to notify each individual office of this Open Call and these guidelines, it might be a good idea to share this announcement with your colleagues in other jurisdictions as well, to ensure that all your deals, throughout CEE, are captured.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions related to this. We look forward to your submission!