Schoenherr has advised Italian private equity firm Quadrivio SGR S.p.A. on the Hungarian and Slovakian legal aspects of the acquisition of a 70% stake in Farmol S.p.A., and its Hungarian subsidiary Farmol Hungary Kft, from Old Mill Holding S.p.A., an Italian investment holding company. The consideration was not disclosed, and the founders and management team of Farmol will retain the remaining 30% equity stake. The closing of the transaction was announced on October 21, 2016.
White & Case has advised P3 Logistic Parks (P3) and global investment company TPG Real Estate and developer Ivanhoe Cambridge on the sale of P3 to GIC, a sovereign wealth fund established by the government of Singapore. Kirkland & Ellis advised GIC on the EUR 2.4 billion deal, which White & Case describes as "the largest deal on the European real estate market this year, and the largest real estate deal in the Czech Republic ever."
Allen & Overy has announced that it advised a consortium consisting of Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets (Europe) Limited (MIRA) and other global investors on the acquisition of a 30% interest in EP Infrastructure from Energeticky a Prumyslovy Holding, a.s. (EPH). The deal remains conditional on German and Austrian competition approvals, as well as a restructuring of EPH.
Dentons has advised P3 Logistic Parks on Polish and Romanian aspects of a EUR 1.4 billion pan-European refinancing of its logistics portfolio, with White & Case advising P3 on Czech and Slovakian aspects and Freshfields advising P3 on separate facilities for Western Europe (including Poland). Financing in Poland and Western Europe was provided by Morgan Stanley with Pbb as agent (advised by Allen & Overy), in Romania by Raiffeisen Bank International (advised by CMS), and in the Czech Republic and Slovakia by CSOB, CSOB Slovakia, Komercni Banka, UniCredit Bank, and Ceska Sporitelna (all advised by Clifford Chance).
In “The Buzz” we interview experts on the legal industry living and working in Central and Eastern Europe to find out what’s happening in the region and what legislative/professional/cultural trends and developments they’re following closely. Because the interviews are carried out and published on the CEE Legal Matters website on a rolling basis, we’ve marked the dates on which the interviews were originally published.
One of the four announced priorities of the Slovakian presidency is the “modern single market,” according to Squire Patton Boggs Partner Jana Pagacova. Part of this, she explains, is the aim to develop unifying projects such as an energy union and the digital single market. And a “big rush in the legal environment” that makes up a significant part of the digital single market process, she explains, is to create an “electronic mailbox” system for all individuals and legal entities in the country through which they will receive all statutory communications from the court.
Comprehensive Review in Bulgaria
Hristo Nihrizov, Partner at Dimitrov, Petrov & Co., reported that the Bulgarian TV and radio markets are dominated by three big, established operators in the country. There are some new international players (e.g., Bloomberg recently launched a new business-oriented channel with a local partner), but Nihrizov noted that these new channels usually face an uphill battle in carving out market share and generally focus instead on niche markets. Overall, though, he pointed to a growing number of channels in the country, “which is good for the consumers.”
Taylor Wessing has advised the Gima family — shareholders of Slovakian food producer Ryba Kosice and its distribution company Calmar — in the divesture of their shareholding in the companies to Slovak meat-processing group Tauris, a member of Eco-Invest group. Barger Prekop advised the buyers on the deal.
Schoenherr is reporting that, on September 30, 2016, Michael Lagler was elected as the new Managing Partner at the firm, where he will take over from Christoph Lindinger, who has led the Central and Eastern European law firm for the past 16 years. Lagler's term will begin at the start of the firm’s next fiscal year, on February 1, 2017.
Schoenherr Bratislava has advised the Albea group on the acquisition of 100% of the shares in Scandolara TUB-EST, s.r.o., a Slovak subsidiary of the Italian Scandolara Group, which produces laminate tubes. The Scandolara Group was represented by Studio Legale D’urso–Zena e Associati and the Slovak law firm Maple & Fish.
Dentons has advised Mezzanine Capital on its first two financing transactions: A EUR 12.5 million mezzanine loan to Medicon Group to fund the acquisition of ProNatal Medical Business, and the second a mezzanine loan in connection with the recapitalization of Nolloth S.A. and its subsidiary VUES Brno.